Monday, July 17, 2017

Lawmakers Congress: Social Security Administration Reforms: "Why Social Security processes, hearings and disability payments failing the Disabled?"

This is my journey and experience about an institutional system Social Security that supposed to work on my behalf as a disabled person. I have diagnosed as "Chronically Illapproximately 2 1/2 years ago, as a woman you planned her life, this surely wasn't in my 5-year plan.  This took some time to digest because I had so many plans and dreams that I wanted to conquer in my life! Yes, I became bitter and resentful at the Creator, myself, doctor, parents and the world because I felt cheated and who want to be chronically ill at a young age? Who wants to sit for hours in the hospital ER? Who wants to stay in bed and can't move for days? Who wants to leave independence to dependency? I asked my parents was I adopted because no one in my family had the autoimmune diseases and diagnoses that I had, where did it come from? So, I went through the emotional "roller coaster" my health detoured to an unexpected journey but the "Creator" gave me a gift, life, I am learning to appreciate it. " What is my purpose"?  I am still searching. However, I went from living well to poverty in a matter of weeks, just like that! "This is not the American Dream"! Social Security needs some reforms in their operations, procedural and processes.
  
Now here comes the challenges, Americans pays into a system and have to wait long wait times while they are considered chronically ill by their doctors while Social Security denies them because they claim they can't get the claimants' medical records? This was unbelievable my doctors never denied my medical records, I signed a release for Social Security to obtain my medical records, that excuse was hard for me to believe.  Social Security denied me now I am living below poverty with an income $185.00 a month because my doctor's whom I been seeing for over 2 ½ years considers me permanently disabled. However, after 2 1/2 years waiting for Social Security decided that I see their doctors for 10 minutes who complained about Social Security paperwork evaluated me. Social security supposed to have evaluated me from the beginning when I filed the claim 2 ½ years ago but they didn't! We hear all the time the distortion to signify that Social Security benefits that people are entitled without earning them are a fabrication; this excuse is to justify the claimant to suffer? Before I became sick I earned a Master's degree and worked two part-time jobs now living in poverty. 

Our Lawmakers must reform Social Security because they purposely deny claimants that claimants have to wait for long periods for a hearing. In my case, it was discovered that Social Security did some procedural process wrong, denied me and never communicated with me which subjected me to wait for a long time for a hearing; Social Security intentionally failed me. Social Security should be held accountable as public servants to effectively communicate to the claimants, stop suppressing or ignoring claimants requests, return phone calls, stop ignoring claimant's doctor's communications, intentionally deny claims only to make claimants suffer because of biases 

The reality in life is that everyone is going to get old, die or become ill;  we can't continue to have Social Security to withhold citizens claims without any justification, I wonder after being diagnosed with 7 chronic illnesses and over 11 other diagnoses, and taking 31medications a day am I being punished for being sick? Or Social Security is hoping I die? In efforts to collect disability payments to pay my bills, get out of poverty and keep from me being more ill and homeless Social Security is turning this into legal battles that are stacked against me only to punish me because I am chronically ill.  

I read a story about a man name Jeffrey Henline from Ellicott City said the agency's failure had devastating consequences for his family. He watched as his late wife become weaker and ill as she waited for the Social Security Administration to approve her request for disability benefits. Marie "Terry" Sorbello died six months after she received her first disability check, following a three-year struggle for benefits, Henline said. While she waited for approval, Henline said Sorbello dropped from 132 pounds to 88, and her list of ailments grew to include abnormal blood leakage in her heart, muscle atrophy, seizures and extreme fatigue. She died on June 25, 2010, at age 52. 
After her death, Henline said the agency came after him to collect more than $14,000 in benefits paid to Sorbello's son, Stephen Hunt, whom Henline continued to rise. The agency claimed it was an overpayment, and Henline went back to court to settle the dispute. An administrative law judge ruled in his favor in June. His attorney, Mering, represented him pro bono in that case. "It's been six years that I have fighting with these people," Henline said. "You're not only dealing with Social Security, but all of the hospital issues, the billing department issues, and the financial issues." The Federal and State public entities supposed to be dedicated to a full compliance with the "reasonable accommodation" requirements and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Federal and State covered agency,  a disabled person makes them aware that they are disabled (oral or written) a request reasonable accommodations should be provided. Since I been disabled some public entities, you have to deal with discrimination issues such as asking for "ADA" or "RA" for assistance it's an undeserving life experience. Before I became disabled I never understood what it meant to be disabled or what a disabled person went through to have access.  

 “Eight thousand people died during the fiscal year 2016 who were waiting for a (disability) hearing. “That’s 23 people a day, almost one an hour to get a hearingWe see people who lose their homes. We see people who are evicted. We see people who can’t afford to pay for medications, who become very debilitated while they wait. It creates people to become homeless.” "This is not the American Dream". 

The disability payments are life-changing, but there is a big concern about future needs and ability to manage health care costs and living expenses without an income.  I am very concern with the Healthcare crises repealing Obamacare. Even though, there are some issues with Obamacare let's improve it not repeal it to Trumpcare. Trumpcare is going to make more Americans suffer that is not endowed by the"Creator". The "Creator" believes in good health and the power of a sound mind. "Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in health is the most shocking and inhumane." Dr. MLK, Jr. America would love to see President Trump humble himself with integrity and work bipartisan with the Democrats to repair Obamacare not repeal it and improve it for Universal Healthcare for "All Americans".

Such as dreams of finding a new place to live or repairing the car that has a need to be repaired for years due to not having an income. "There has never been anything I could fall back on through all of this I have experienced'If something happens, what do we do?' It's a terrible, terrible stressful feeling. Every day, I would think, 'What if I need something?' It's every single day, I have to worry.
  


  


No comments:

Post a Comment